1. Basic Country Information
Research Document: Country Background Research Template
The following links are good to get basic information about each member state. These are where you should start your research, as you can start to understand the condition of your country. However, you definitely will need to do additional research to discover your country’s positions and policies regarding the conference agenda.
- The CIA World Factbook
- U.S. Department of State Factsheets
- BBC Country Profiles
- NationMaster – A one-stop-shop for country data
- VOA Pronunciation Guide – Voice of America provides the proper pronunciation of world leaders’ names and locations in the news.
2. UN Structure and Operations
Before the conference, it is important to understand the structure of the United Nations and how it operates, as well as the specialized agencies or programmes that are being discussed for the conference. Especially important is understanding the agency or body that is being simulated at JUEMUN. Use these links to familiarize your self with the different bodies and agencies of the UN.
- List of Funds, Specialized Agencies, and Programmes
- UN Website – search for your country’s permanent UN mission.
3. Agenda and Committee Topic Research
Research Document: UN Body, Meeting, & Committee Research Template
These links will help you research the topics that have been selected for each meeting and committee. Please gain a general understanding of the global nature of the issues being discussed before you research the topic within your own country.
- UN Global Issues
- UNESCO Institute of Statistics – provides key statistics and indicators on education, science and technology, and culture and communication for countries around the world
4. Country Policy Position
Research Document: Policy Making Research Template
Use these links to research about the member state’s position towards related policies. These links will give you the UN voting records and position papers that are relevant to the agenda of the upcoming conference.